* The trail should be one which an observant scout can follow easily, but which an ordinary person would not even see!
* Make the signs on the right hand side of any track you may be following.
* The signs should be close to the ground or at least no higher than the knee.
* They should be regularly spaced.
* If more than one person is to follow a trail, the earlier ones must not spoil the trail for the others. The last person should destroy the signs when he has finished.
* The signs need not be large – about as big as your hand
* Make sure your signs can be recognised as man made. It is surprising how often twigs lying naturally on the ground look like an arrow.
click the following link to get more wood craft signs